We’ve looked at some great YouTube channels in the last couple weeks – Tommy Emmanuel, Igor Presnyakov, and Andy McKee (see Part I, Part II). But I wanted to wrap up the series by highlighting some other types of channels. Specifically, YouTube channels by labels, magazines, and other institutions. Here’s a few great channels from organizations who love acoustic guitar:
1. CandyRat Records – This is the record label for Andy McKee, Antione Dufour, Ewan Dobson and more. They host videos from a ton of massively talented players.
2. Guitar Students at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee – The university’s arts program “offers the only Bachelor of Fine Arts and Master of Music in finger-style guitar performance” in the world. The YouTube channel highlights their students and is pretty amazing.
3. Acoustic Guitar Magazine – Acoustic Guitar magazine has a phenonemal YouTube channel. True, the channel is much broader than just fingerstyle guitar. But it has great instructionals on fingerstyle blues, duets, and more.
4. The Guitar Night – The Guitar Night describes itself as “a globally touring guitar festival sponsored by Acoustic Guitar Magazine and D’Addario Strings”. Unfortunately, I’ve never had the chance to see this, but the extensive video list is pretty impressive.
5. Jon Gomm – Jon Gomm’s Passionflower blew my mind the first time I saw it. The guitar playing alone is incredibly challenging, but then he’s able to sing (and sing well) over it. Really amazing. No, he doesn’t exactly fit as an ‘organization’ for this final YouTube roundup. But I forgot to include him earlier and needed to make sure he got in there!