Jon Gomm is an English singer-songwriter and performer. Using a single acoustic guitar to create drum sounds, bass lines and melodies simultaneously, his songs draw on a range of influences and styles including blues, soul, rock and even metal. Michael Hedges is an important source of inspiration. To date he has recorded three solo albums and has toured full-time since 2004. His solo performances started in Leeds. He extended the sounds he could make with an acoustic guitar – hitting the surface to make snare drum, bass drum and bongo sounds, re-tuning the strings to get bass sounds, and using high harmonics from the guitar for synthesizer-like effects. He worked these techniques into his own songs, and put his years of singing blues into use.
Musically he is a disciple of Michael Hedges, and as such part of a generation of guitarists using extended techniques which includes Andy McKee and Erik Mongrain. The tattoo on his arm is from the cover of the Michael Hedges album Oracle.
Jon Gomm has rejected mainstream music industry values and practices and avoids playing chain venues and corporate festivals. His appearances are generally organised with independent promoters in venues like real ale pubs in rural areas, theatres or arts centre. He has been a regular performer at The Junction Inn, Otley for many years and attracts a large crowd whenever in town.
In addition to his own performances, he has also played gigs with Tommy Emmanuel (Australia), Nick Harper and Bob Brozman.
He has performed at festivals including Download, Electric Picnic, The Canadian Guitar Festival, The Italian National Guitar Festival, The Garforth Arts Festival and The London Guitar Show at Wembley Arena. He performs regularly across the UK and the rest of the world with tours in China, Brazil, South Africa, Turkey, Australia and Canada.
One of my personal favorites is his High And Dry.
If you’re a fan of Spotify, here’s a couple tunes to get you started:
- “What’s Left For You?”: https://open.spotify.com/track/0fW7zZb22rZjZGcp6fY7ZG
- “Loveproof”: https://open.spotify.com/track/1BRoCEu6X76XZkEs4opDmO
Albums: View List
- Lowden O12C – Wilma. Check on Lowdenguitars.com
- Trace Elliot TA 200. more info
- Wampler Ego Compressor. Check price on Amazon.com
- Boss PQ-3B Bass parametric Equalizer. more info
- Boss LS-2 Line Selector/Power Supply. Check price on Amazon.com
- Boss FBM-1 Fender ’59 Bassman Guitar Effects Pedal. Check price on Amazon.com
- Boss OC-3 SUPER Octave Pedal. Check price on Amazon.com
- Boss DD-7 Digital Delay. Check price on Amazon.com
- Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb Effects Pedal. Check price on Amazon.com
- Boss VE-20 Vocal Performer Twin Pedal. Check price on Amazon.com